October, 2003: Animal Advocates helps out animal victims of the California fires
Animal Advocates helped out EARS, Emergency Animal Rescue Services. We were in San Bernardino helping out, photos below (click to see larger). We went there with paramedic kits, wildlife cages and wildlife supplies. There was no wildlife to help and they had a vet on duty so we helped out with the domestic animals.
Most of the people at these free shelters were low income. They happily accepted free vaccinations, free microchipping, free dog tags, free pet supplies. I bet if they were offered free licenses, they’d take that too. A lot of animals were not spayed or neutered. We asked them if spay/neuter were free at the makeshift shelter in the SNIP vans in the parking lots, would they want it. They said yes. We’re raising funds, almost have it, to hire a vet to work the SNIP vans in the parking lot, already got the okay. At the moment they are full of birds but the bird people are coming to get the birds this morning. Hopefully by this morning or tomorrow, the vet can start doing spay/neuter in the parking lot.
Amazing EARS sets up a makeshift shelter to house 400 dogs, easily 200 cats and other animals in just a day or so. There is only one dog per good sized kennel. Everyone got medical treatment, at least two walks a day, special foods, toys, treats, the volunteers gave these animals so much love. If only Los Angeles were in a constant state of emergency.
After the rescue work was over, my two big Fish & Game regulation size wildlife cages went missing. No one has any idea where these two 4′ x 6′ x 8′ cages went. All of my wildlife carriers which I brought also went missing. I’ve asked all the other rescue groups but no luck yet. My carriers were just small dog carriers reinforced with heavy gauge wire mesh on the insides but my big cages were not cheap. I had actually just bought those cages. If anyone has any large bird aviaries that they’d like to donate, I’ll gladly come and pick them up.
Mary Cummins of Animal Advocates is a wildlife rehabilitator licensed by the California Department of Fish and Game and the USDA. Mary Cummins is also a licensed real estate appraiser in Los Angeles, California.
- Meet up
- Animal Advocates custom Facebook name
- Cummins Real Estate blog
- Animal Advocates on Google maps
- Mary Cummins of Animal Advocates
- Mary Cummins biography resume short
- Mary Cummins Real Estate Services
- Animal Advocates fan page at Facebook.com
- Mary Cummins Animal Advocates Squirrel Rescue
- Mary Cummins Animal Advocates on Flickr photos
- Mary Cummins Animal Advocates on Twitter.com
- Mary Cummins on Picasa web photo albums
- Mary Cummins on MySpace.com
- Mary Cummins on Google Blogger Blogspot
- Mary Cummins on YouTube.com videos
- Mary Cummins of Animal Advocates on Classmates
- Mary Cummins of Animal Advocates on Google+