All mammals can be tube fed. lt’s a wives tale that only opossums can be tube fed. The Opossum Society told me this eight years ago. Wish l knew it sooner. lf you get in an unconscious animal, one having seizures, mouth injuries, breathing problems…tube feeding is the solution to hydrating and feeding.
Research has shown that fluids are absorbed more readily with less energy expended through the stomach. Most people would subq fluids but tubing fluids is preferable especially if they are unconscious.
Here l am tube feeding a baby squirrel dying of kidney failure from ingesting Petag’s Esbilac puppy milk. This was 2009. l no longer use any of their products after their products killed so many babies.
Anyway this baby won’t eat, is weak, needs fluids and energy. She is salivating because she is hungry but doesn’t want to eat. She also was chewing on the tube.
Remember to always measure twice then mark the tube. l’ll go into that more in my next post.
Mary Cummins of Animal Advocates is a wildlife rehabilitator licensed by the California Department of Fish and Game and the USDA. Mary Cummins is also a licensed real estate appraiser in Los Angeles, California.
- Meet up
- Animal Advocates custom Facebook name
- Cummins Real Estate blog
- Animal Advocates on Google maps
- Mary Cummins of Animal Advocates
- Mary Cummins biography resume short
- Mary Cummins Real Estate Services
- Animal Advocates fan page at Facebook.com
- Mary Cummins Animal Advocates Squirrel Rescue
- Mary Cummins Animal Advocates on Flickr photos
- Mary Cummins Animal Advocates on Twitter.com
- Mary Cummins on Picasa web photo albums
- Mary Cummins on MySpace.com
- Mary Cummins on Google Blogger Blogspot
- Mary Cummins on YouTube.com videos
- Mary Cummins of Animal Advocates on Classmates
- Mary Cummins Animal Advocates on eHow